The winners of 2014 Raymond Crossword Book Award have been announced and they are:
- “The Blind Lady’s Descendants by Anees Salim” won the Raymond Crossword Book Award in the Indian Fiction category
- “This Divided Island: Stories from the Sri Lankan War by Samanth Subramanian” won the award for Indian Non-Fiction
- “Children, Women, Men By Sundara Ramaswamy Translated by Lakshmi Holmstrom” won the Indian language Translation category
- “Bankerupt by Ravi Subramanian” won the Popular Award
- “Timmi in Tangles by Shals Mahajan Duckbill” won Kotak Junior Children writing award
Anees Salim, winner in fiction category
The winners were honoured at a glittering award function at NCPA in Mumbai. Eminent jurist and a former mayor and Sheriff of Mumbai Nana Chudasama and Indian fashion designer, politician, and a social worker Shaina NC were the Chief Guest for the evening which also included a memorable performance by The Raghu Dixit Project.
With over 50,000 voting entries for the popular award, it was the highest number of votes ever received in the history of the Book Award, Crossword said in a statement. The entire judging process took more than 3 months.
Speaking on the occasion Mr Kinjal Shah (CEO – Crossword Bookstores) said, “This year we complete 13 years of the Book Award. These awards have always been an integral part of the brand & we are thrilled at the way it has grown over the years & supported Indian writing. We at crossword would like to thank the readers, authors, publishers, the jury, and all our sponsors for their support in the endeavour of rewarding the best of Indian Literature”
The 13th edition saw an outstanding response, from the various distinguished writers, publishers, critics and book-lovers who enjoyed the biggest celebration of Indian literature. Shortlisted authors Ravinder Singh, Durjoy Dutta, Ashwin Sanghi, S Hussain Zaidi, Rashmi Bansal, Anand Neelkhantan, Ravi Subramanian, Jerry Pinto, Amitabh Bagchi were present at event.